Hi Friends! After a busy day out for my little cousin’s birthday I am finally sitting down, getting comfy and pumping out a blog post. This post is going to be a tiny bit different though. I want to talk about how important it is to pack healthy snacks when you know you are going to be somewhere that doesn’t have healthy snack/meal options to choose from. I unfortunately did not plan ahead and ended up eating cheese pizza and ice cream cake for lunch. YIKES! This also goes to show that not everyone is perfect. I always want this blog to be 100% real and I will man up and say that although I rave about healthy eating and lifestyle, I don’t always stay strictly on track. Although when this does happen it reassures me that I really am benefiting from eating clean! After eating the pizza and ice cream cake today I felt tired and my stomach was NOT smiling like it does after a meal of veggies. So now you’re probably wondering, what the hell do I snack on? Here’s a list of some of my faves when i’m out of The Kitch.
1) Lundberg Farm‘s Brown Rice Cakes – these rice cakes are AMAZE! Not only are they organic and gluten free they are also vegan! One cake contains 60 calories and 1 gram of protein but if I am at home a good way to add some more protein is with hummus, another yummy snack. I also like to top it with some avocado sweet potato guac which I plan to feature on the blog soon! If I am on the run though I like to toss these cakes into a ziploc and straight into my purse to munch on. Lundberg carries a variety of flavours including sesame tamari which is my fave and cinnamon toast which I have been wanting to try so bad. Check out their other flavours here!
2) Although not organic, another snack that I do love is Snack Salad‘s Baked Snapea in the “original” flavour. These are so delicious to munch on I could probably eat the whole bag in one sitting. Great alternative to chips except for another thing I’m not too fond of is that corn oil is listed in the ingredients but you can’t win em all!
3) And then there are the beloved kale chips! Now these are some healthy chips that you can feel guilt free about. I can definitely say that I enjoy kale chips 100x better than potato chips. I look forward to sharing some kale chip recipes with all of you guys. Kale is SO popular in The Kitch as you have probably already noticed.
4) Good ol chopped up raw veggies you can never go wrong with either. Bring along a little container of hummus and you are good to go!
5) I also like to make my own protein balls that are super easy to throw into your purse and bring around with you. I will also have to do a blog post on these little suckers! Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures of them but think rolled oats, sunflower seed butter, cacao nibs… YUM!
6) I am allergic to nuts but that is a great choice to take with you on the go to keep you full!
7) Last but not least, FRUIT!
I hope these ideas help you out if you’re in a healthy snacking rut or if you needed suggestions on what to bring when you’re on the go! I may have indulged in dairy and greasiness today but I did my best to keep it clean and green for dinner! Check it out.
I steamed up some broccoli and kale and topped with nutritional yeast. This took me all but 15 mins and I’m in heaven eating it. My body is already forgiving me for treating it like crap earlier today! I feel my insides smiling and saying thank you :)
Do you guys have any healthy snacking suggestions? How do you keep on track when you’re on the go? Would love to hear your tricks of the trade!
PS have you seen the thank you video I did for all of you yesterday!?
Love From The Kitch,